How Deloitte is improving ethnic diversity
Since 2017, we (Deloitte) have had specific targets and actions to support ethnic minority talent, with a significant focus since 2020 on Black talent.
Targeted actions towards ethnic diversity:
Equity of opportunity
- Refreshing mandatory inclusion training for hiring managers.
- Continuing to review and challenge our recruitment processes and working with our leaders to ensure our shortlisting and selection process for panels is inclusive.
- Supporting the 10,000 Black Interns initiative, launching our pilot programme in summer 2022. We recruited three interns onto our summer vacation scheme and are currently reviewing ambitions for 2023 with a view to increase our hiring numbers.
Developing people to succeed and thrive
- Launching our Future Leaders Programme for 500 women and ethnic minority colleagues. 43.5% of participants this year are from an ethnic minority background and 7% are Black. The nine-month programme supports participants from manager to director grade through their progression in the firm, with the support of a tailored development curriculum and senior leader sponsorship.
- Continuing our reverse mentoring programme, pairing Black and ethnic minority colleagues with partners and directors.
- Participating in the Business In The Community and INvolve cross-company mentoring programmes.
Culture & behaviours
- Introducing mandatory training for all employees in 2020 covering race bias, micro-behaviours and inclusive language and communication. This is now mandatory for all new joiners.
- Making race bias e-learning available to all our people and continue to develop inclusive leadership content specifically for our People Leaders.
- Our Multicultural Network allies community continues to grow, further supported by our firmwide allyship toolkit, which provides guidance and practical tips on allyship and advocacy that can be applied to support all under-represented groups.
Leveraging the Deloitte brand and platform
- Committing to the CBI Change the Race Ratio campaign and 10,000 Black Interns initiative.
- Our 5 Million Futures partnership with Blueprint For All through which we are delivering a bursary programme to 43 students with five universities. Aimed at students from ethnic minority and lower socio-economic backgrounds, the scheme offers financial support as well as mentoring, skills workshops, and opportunities to apply for our undergraduate work experience programmes.
- We’re a signatory of the Business in the Community’s Race at Work Charter.
Measuring & reporting
- Our targets are 12% ethnic minority and 3% Black partners by 2025 (we currently stand at 9% and 0.9% respectively).
- In June 2022, 22 new partners were from ethnic minority backgrounds, equating to 18% of our partner promotions. This included 3 new Black partners.